Monday, August 25, 2008

Self-Control

The Fruit of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self control. On this, hangs all the law.
Galations 5:22

I have the feeling that Americans today have not been taught self-control. No matter, its a christian discipline so I can't expect the world in general to hold to it. But it also seems to me that American Christians are lacking in this discipline, as well.

There's this general consensus on this continent that following your heart, and doing what you feel like doing, and trusting emotions is a GOOD thing - and evidence of a free life; a liberated mindset.

As such, the consequences that have been born out of the lack of self-control are being worked through and dealt with by the government. Such issues include (but are not limited to) Abortion, No-Fault Divorce, Welfare, and the bailing out of the Credit Industry.

I will have a follow-up on this, but first feel free to leave your comments on agree/disagree. I get much more controversial in my next couple of posts, so establishing my premise is incredibly important here.

1 comment:

Carrie C. said...

I concur.
I think it comes down to how you are treated by the local church. My pastor eloquently stated yesterday morning that where some churches and some Christians will allow to just keep going along. They won't say anything if you are sliding down sinful slope. He told the (few) freshman in the congregation "You won't find that here. . . the officers of this church will have to give an account to God one day. . . "
This is why I think I have the greatest church ever. In addition to that, we had fellowship lunch after church. I had (rather ungracefully) sampled a slice of ham in the kitchen. I made a comment about my ungracefullness sampling to my pastor. He just kind of gave me this look that said "Yeah, that was kind of disgusting to watch." He didn't bother laughing off my comment, saying "I hadn't noticed", or anything else that would have made me "feel better".
It's little things like that, that help me not take my church for granted.